5 Best leg exercises that improve blood circulation
Many specialists refer to the calf muscle as “the secondary heart” because it plays a crucial role in our body’s circulatory system. The blood circulation in your legs may be improved through several exercises. Some of them can be performed while sitting at your desk while standing and some can even be performed while lying down. The 5 best leg exercises which may improve blood circulation and are easy and convenient are the following:
Tips to improve blood circulation through lifestyle alterations
- Walking– Walking or brisk walking is greatly beneficial in increasing the body’s flexibility. By getting movement, the circulation of blood increases.
- Knee bends– This exercise can be done while lying down. Fold one knee while lying down and aim to touch it to your chest. Try as much as you can. Do it with both legs alternatively for 20 times in total.
- Foam roller stretch– This exercise can be done while sitting. This exercise is great for toning and conditioning your leg muscles. While sitting, put a soft foam roller under the ankles and roll it. Alternatively, you can even place the roller under your thighs to strengthen your hamstrings. You can also roll it under your feet to reduce the problem of excessively cold feet during wintertime.
- Squats– This exercise can be done while standing. Stand with your hands stretched straight in front of you. Get into a chair-like position with your knees slightly bent, Your back should be straight and the pressure should be felt in your core and thigh muscles. After retaining this position for a few seconds go back to the initial position. Repeat this a few times.
- Heel lifts– Stand straight and slowly lift your heels so that you are standing on tiptoes. Lower your heels slowly and repeat a few times. Hold onto steady support like a sturdy chair if you are not confident of your balance.
Let us explore some life choices which may improve blood circulation and can ensure that we live a healthy and happy life.
Items which may help improve blood circulation apart from working out
- Drinking green tea– Green tea is packed with antioxidants which help fight against the harmful free radicals of the body and neutralize their effect. This may improve blood circulation by promoting overall health.
- Balanced diet– Consuming food containing all the nutrients essential for living a healthy life through a balanced diet may help boost blood circulation.
- Warm baths– Warm water on your skin may improve the circulation of blood. However, this is not always efficient enough.
- Drink plenty of water– Keeping yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water and other fluid items ease the heart’s job of pumping blood through the veins and arteries. This may in turn improve the flow of blood in your body.
- Quit smoking– Smoking involves breathing in several chemicals and toxins such as nicotine. Nicotine has a tightening effect on the blood vessels which restricts the flow of blood through them and can cause high blood pressure.
- Reduce alcohol intake– Consuming alcohol on a regular basis may disrupt the normal processes of the body which may, in turn, affect the circulation system of the body as well.
- Opt for massage– Getting massaged by a professional or self-massaging your legs may improve the flow of blood through your blood vessels by relaxing your body. It is also great for stress reduction.
Below is a list of items or supplements which may improve the circulation of blood apart from working out.
- Foot elevating pillows– Elevating your feet while sleeping can greatly affect your blood circulation in a positive way. Keeping your feet elevated above the level of your heart while sleeping can improve the flow of blood through the veins and reduce the chances of swelling or varicose veins.
- Under desk cycle– For professionals who do a desk job and need to sit for prolonged periods of time, this equipment may be of immense help. Pedalling while sitting helps burn calories and may improve circulation since it is a form of exercise as well.
- Short footstool– A footstool of low height can be used for elevating your feet if you have to sit for prolonged periods of time for work. Elevating your feet may improve the circulation of blood.
- Herbal supplements– Some vitamins and ayurvedic supplements are believed to be beneficial for healthy blood circulation. However, please consult a medical practitioner before taking any supplement as it may otherwise affect your health seriously.
Exercises such as squats, walking
, foam roller stretch and heel lifts may improve the circulation of blood in your legs. Elevating your legs when sitting for prolonged periods of time and eating a balanced diet are some other ways you can support healthy blood circulation.